Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Here We Go

Well this is my first official blog. I am blogging while trying to get through our second grade homework. For those of you who don't know us, Will has Asperger's Syndrome. This is a high functioning form of autism. He has an IQ of 123 at 7 years old. He also has ADHD. Now imagine trying to keep his attention long enough to do work so boring that he could have done it in kindergarten. Yep, every afternoon, Monday through Friday, 3-5 or 6 you'll find us at the dining room table struggling to get "our" homework done. Christian usually does his "homework" from his high chair with a pencil and some of Will's sheets that have already been graded and Matthew hangs out in the portable swing and watches the toys and lights overhead. He does have some challenge work from time to time, but basically, public school just doesn't know what to do with him!

Most days Craig, who works third shift, gets up about 5:30 and takes over homework if we're not done so I can start dinner. But because of therapy, doctor's appointments and school functions, our schedules are disrupted quite alot. We try to keep day to day pretty scheduled. It helps everyone, especially Will. He does not do change well!

In the next few blogs, I'm going to try to put up some things to help you understand what Asperger's is and what my "Aspie" faces in a world where things just don't make sense.

I hope you guys find this interesting and I find it cathartic!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Just read over your blog! I loved it! And I thank you do great as a mother! You went through a HELL of a ALOT While you were pregant, I would have already gave up by now and been crazy! I don't see how you have done it, BUT YOU HAVE! You know those guys need you, and you have been right there for them! You are a GREAT MOTHER and WIFE! I respect you for all that you have been through and going through! You are a great friend, and so happy that you are a part of my life! I LOVE YA GIRL!

    ReplyDelete